Set up customer action tracking
We can tell you what potential customers do after they click your ad, including the pages they visit on your website, how long they spend there, and more!
Not everyone has this feature yet. If you don't, don't worry—it's coming soon!
For customer action tracking to work, you (or a web developer) will need to add a tracking tag to each page of your website's code.
Once you have a campaign up and running, you can find out how many potential customers clicked your ads to visit your website. But what do they do once they get there? The answer to that question can give you a clearer picture of your return on investment (ROI) with Digital Marketing Center.
Set up customer action tracking to learn precisely:
- How many people visit your website.
- How long they spend there.
- Whether or not they're visiting the pages that are most important to your business.
The last point is critical, because your website is designed around your business goal, and different advertisers have different business goals. Is your goal to sell products, to raise brand awareness, to generate leads, to drive foot traffic to your physical location, or something else? Customer action tracking can help you make sure that your advertising budget is driving real results for you.
Set up customer action tracking
- In Digital Marketing Center, on the Ads page, click a campaign.
- Find the Customer action tracking tile, and click Set up tracking.
Add special pages to track: Depending on your business goal, you'll want your ad to drive customers to specific pages—for example, an order confirmation or "Contact us" page. Add these pages and then click Next. For more information on this step, view Special pages: Which pages are most important to your business?
Edit your website: For customer action tracking to work, someone will need to add a tracking tag to each page of your website's code. You have three options here:
- If you built your website using WordPress.com, Wix, Shopify, or BigCommerce (and want to use it to edit your website's code), select Let me add the tracking tag through a website editing platform and then click Next.
- If you're comfortable updating your website's code directly, select Let me edit my website's code myself and then click Next.
- If someone else usually updates your website's code for you, select Let me send the tracking tag to someone else and then click Next. In the next step, enter the appropriate email address or addresses, click Send, and then Done.
View Add tracking tags to your website for more information on this step.
Monitor customer action tracking in Digital Marketing Center
After it's set up, the Customer action tracking metrics tile for a specific campaign will show you how many visits your ads are driving to your website and your special pages. On the Ads page, click a campaign to find the Customer action tracking metrics tile for that campaign.
On the Customer action tracking metrics tile, click the ellipsis icon , then select:
- View tracking tag if you need to copy the tracking tag again.
- Test my tag to run a quick check on whether or not we are receiving data from your tracking tag.
- Manage special pages to add more pages or pause tracking for certain pages.